Friday, March 23, 2012

Hello Stranger

I didn't mean to go so long without blogging again, but I had a busy week. I had a midterm for my Interest Groups (lobbying) class and it was brutal. I'm not sure I did okay, but I'm just glad it's over to be honest. I love school but I'm ready for summer.


Source

A couple weeks ago I mentioned my intention to stick to a modified version of the paleo diet. Well, it's been two weeks so I thought I'd give you guys an update:

1. I am still struggling with making sure I have paleo friendly foods to snack on. This is the hardest part for me. (Beef jerky and string cheese are life savers.)

2. Breakfast makes all the difference. I know that's a major "duh," but I find myself slacking a lot on this and it makes a HUGE difference. If I eat breakfast I'm more likely to do well throughout the day and number one doesn't become as big of a deal.

3. One day I decided I had to have pizza and it made me feel awful. It upset my roommate's stomach too so maybe it was the pizza itself and not just carb overload, but it also messed with my *ahem* bathroom schedule.

That's about it so far. Even though I still struggle with hunger sometimes (which means I'm not eating enough fat or something), I feel better when I'm not being weighed down with a crap ton of grains. I feel like I should mention that I had a few days of slight dizziness in the first week. Since I also gave up soda (for the most part) it might have had something to do with that though. Overall I'm really enjoying eating this way and I have lost some weight. How much of that has to do with this diet I can't really say.

Also, it's Women's Week at the University of Utah this week and I got to hear a really motivation speech on Wednesday. The speaker, Dr. Cynthia A. Bioteau, is the 7th President and first woman CEO of Salt Lake Community College. During her speech she played a video called the "Girl Effect" and it completely blew me away.



Did you know that women will reinvest 90 cents of every dollar they make compared to 35 cents for men? Craziness.

Besides that I've just been busy hanging out and going to the gym. Boring I know.

Hope everything is going well for everyone else!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I'm just getting around to seeing this.

    I've lost a lot of weight this year. It started with me being sick at the end of the year. I lost a few pounds with being ill, then decided to see how far I could go with it. 40 pounds lighter, still I feel the same, if I do look different.
    I think I inadvertently put myself on a high liquid diet. My sugar levels have been out of whack, making me very thirsty. I started drinking shit tons of water, and that leaves me feeling full.
    I am not sure if I could cut out my carbs. I mean, after all, I did give up MtDew completely (down from about 8 servings a day), and I do so like my bread. Maybe if I had enough beef jerky ;-)

    I think if you want to lose weight, you should. But, as far as I can tell, you're just fine as you are :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. 40 pounds is impressive. It's actually not as hard as I thought it would be. The only problem is I'm hungry. Like all the time it seems. I've never been the type to eat a lot in one sitting (like for real), but I find myself easily eating twice what I used to eat. I don't know if it's because the carbs gave me a false sense of satisfaction or what, but it's really frustrating.

      And thanks. I think I'm gonna go into the reasons I'm doing this and what's going on with my mental state a little bit haha

      Delete