Sunday, March 11, 2012

Video Voyeur: Why don't You Love Me


This video came out a while ago, but I've fallen in love with it all over again. Everything about it, right down to the song itself, is simply perfection. The clothes, the vintage feel, the makeup (OMG the makeup). I want to just live in this video.



I'm trying to convince myself that it'd be totally reasonable to walk around with my makeup like this. Fake tear tracks and everything. I adore it. The fact Beyoncé did it herself is even more impressive.

What Beyoncé had to say about the shoot:
I was still thinking about Bettie Page, and wanted to do something that was inspired by her. This video was a secret: I paid for and co-directed it and didn’t tell my label or my management. The clothes and jewelry are from my closet, the wigs are mine, and I did my own makeup. We did eight looks in one day in this great house that belonged to a producer who worked with Dorothy Dandridge. He had pictures of her on the wall, so her spirit is in the video, too. I love Super 8 film and wanted to get those saturated colors. It’s a different drama—the tears and martinis and cigarettes. I wanted to channel the past for the present.
I feel like I need to run out and buy some new lingerie.

1 comment: