Thursday, June 21, 2012

Try Harder



Anyone who's ever met me knows I'm pretty comfortable with myself. There are things I'd change about my appearance if I could, but for the most part I'm at peace with my body. Even being as confident as I am though, there are some days when I just feel kind of blah. Today is one of those days.

You know those days when you just feel weird about your body? I'm not even sure why, but I'm just annoyed with my appearance today. I know it's cause I haven't gone to the gym in over a week and I ate too much dinner. I never eat a lot, but I was starving earlier and now I'm uncomfortable full. I hate being full (I prefer just being not hungry). I keep finding myself nitpicking my body and then feeling traitorous for not being more confident.

So when I came across this quote it really hit home for me (via):
“...the fact that “love your body” rhetoric shifts the responsibility for body acceptance over to the individual, and away from communities, institutions, and power, is also problematic. individuals who do not love their bodies, who find their bodies difficult to love, are seen as being part of the problem. the underlying assumption is that if we all loved our bodies just as they are, our fat-shaming, beauty-policing culture would be different. if we don’t love our bodies, we are, in effect, perpetuating normative (read: impossible) beauty standards. if we don’t love our individual bodies, we are at fault for collectively continuing the oppressive and misogynistic culture. if you don’t love your body, you’re not trying hard enough to love it. in this framework, your body is still the paramount focus, and one way or another, you’re failing. it’s too close to the usual body-shaming, self-policing crap, albeit with a few quasi-feminist twists, for comfort.”
I'm not sure I agree with the entire post, but anyone who has ever felt guilty for not being more confident will be able to relate to this I think.

1 comment:

  1. You know what would be weird? If women who were worried that they were ugly bought really small, feminine cars to try to compensate.

    I think women drive themselves nuts over their appearance. It certainly isn't a struggle for the benefit of men (though we do benefit, in that almost every guy seems to end up with a woman way out of our league). If women had any clue how low our standards were... you ladies might never shave your legs again.

    ReplyDelete