Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Asparagus, Pecorino and Red Onion Salad

I know it's been forever since I've posted, but I figured this recipe was the best way to jump start what will hopefully be my triumphant return to rambling on the internet at a bunch of strangers. This is one of those ridiculously simple recipes that has huge bang for the buck. I'm always on the lookout for new vegetable side dishes, and this one really caught my eye because I'd never considered eating asparagus raw. The vinegar in the recipe tenderizes the asparagus and leaves you with a crisp and tasty salad. My friends couldn't stop eating it and asked several times about the recipe. You can't beat that.

IMG_8872

I use a mandolin to get the asparagus thin and even. It's a little bit of a hassle, but I think it's worth it. I do same thing with the onion and it keeps you from biting into a chunk of onion. I did substitute Parmesan for the picorino and halved the amount of vinegar called for. Remember, you can always add more vinegar later (and the bunch of asparagus Burrell used was quite large). After that, all you do is add the olive oil to taste.

Would I make this again? Oh yes. It's simple and light and people can't seem to get enough of it.

Asparagus, Pecorino and Red Onion Salad

It is best to do this about an hour or so in advance to let the flavors "marry".

Ingredients:

1 bunch pencil asparagus, tough bottom stems removed
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 cup coarsely grated aged pecorino
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt

Directions:

1. Cut the asparagus, including the tips into very thin slices, crosswise and place in a medium bowl. Add the red onion and pecorino and toss to combine.

2. Dress with the vinegar, olive oil and salt and toss again. This salad should be fairly heavily dressed. The vinegar will sort of "cook" or tenderize the asparagus.

Source: Anne Burrell

No comments:

Post a Comment