Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Little Terror Can Be a Good Thing

"You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down."
If my outlook on life could be summarized by one cheesy saying it'd be, "If you don't ask the answer is always 'no.'" When I'm unsure whether or not I want to go down a certain path, I always think about the possible outcomes and then try to decide if the worse thing that can happen is more of a tragedy than never trying at all. I've found over time that not trying is usually more upsetting to me. I hate the not knowing. The "what could have been" eats at me and I'd rather mend my wounds after crashing and burning than never jump at all. This means I tend to make an ass out of myself more than most.

On the plus side, making a fool out of yourself is a good way to stay grounded.

In SLC there's this pizza place close to my work that's a little bit of a dive. The tables are usually dirty, the staff are covered with tattoos, and the pizza is delicious in that way only cheap by-the-slice pizza tends to be. Since it's near my work and, more importantly, open really late on the weekends, I tend to eat there a couple times a week. Usually on Fridays and Saturdays after the bar closes. Over the last few weeks I've developed a total crush on one of the boys and on Saturday I decided to write him a note. Yes a note.

Because I have no good sense.

Anyways, even though it included such gems as "pizza rocks" and "your cuteness kills me," I'm kind of glad I did it. People take everything so seriously and it's good to be silly. To be honest and upfront about your feelings. Sometimes, maybe even most of the time, it won't work out the way you hoped. But when it does, man it's fucking awesome.

You got to make your own luck.

Maybe I'm writing this post to convince myself not to freak out, but a little terror can be a good thing. So the next time you aren't sure what to do, give it a shot. Who knows? You might feel like a total ass and spend the next few days laughing over it with your friends. Or maybe you'll get lucky and something magical will happen. Either way, action is always more satisfying than non-action in my book.

And pizza really does rock.

Update: So it turns out my pizza boy has a girlfriend. He said he was flattered and "probably would have even called" but his girlfriend probably wouldn't appreciate it. I'd like to say I'm not bummed, but at least I went for it. Who knows? Maybe we can be friends.  

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, it's been a long time. so glad i clicked on this.

    you go! i make an ass of myself on occasion but that's ok bec i've learned that the times i make sure to not look like a freak, i usually miss out on something more important than saving face (and i discovered this as you probably know too close to 40 years old. not that i'm past that age or anything.)

    keep going, miss alana! you will find your bliss!

    <3 azure

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! All the good stuff happens when you step out of your comfort zone! Yay for you for trying and laughing off that he is taken! You can never have too many friends!

    -Christina

    http://handcuffsandbows.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete