Friday, October 19, 2012

Around Town: The Pie Hole

pie hole

Picture: Source

When people ask for restaurant recommendation at the hotel, I usually respond with the same few places every time. Most people are looking for something delicious, moderately priced, and with a good atmosphere. Salt Lake City is bursting with restaurants like this so it's pretty easy to come up with suggestions. Once I get to know a guest though, the Pie Hole will inevitably get brought up.

Here's the thing about the Pie Hole, it's a little bit of a dive. And I love it.

The Pie Hole is a local pizza place that specializes in thin crust New York Style pizza by the slice. They have daily specials that include things like vegan slices and a potato/bacon pizza. Out of the endless varieties they offer (they even made a mac and cheese pizza once), my favorite is the ninja. It's jalapenos, pineapple, and peperoni on red sauce and it's ridiculously delicious. Add a side of ranch and a $1 pbr and you're looking at a tasty late night treat for less than five bucks.

The interior of the restaurant itself is a mishmash of art and color. The tables are often dirty and the music tends to be a little too loud. All of this gives the Pie Hole a cool laid back vibe that I've come to appreciate. Open till 3 am on Fridays and Saturdays, the Pie Hole is the perfect place to get a quick slice before or after the bar. If you go after last call though, be prepared to wait in a line that can often find itself reaching down the street. There's always a colorful cast of characters to talk with while waiting in line, but I tend to go earlier in the night so I can avoid the rush.

If you asked any of my friends where I go the most, they would unanimously, and without any hesitation, say "The Pie Hole." You can catch me there almost every Friday and Saturday after I get off work and there's good reason for it. Whether you come for the pizza and stay for the cheap beer or are simply looking for something filling at 2 am, you can't wrong with the Pie Hole.

Location: 344 S. State, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111

No comments:

Post a Comment