Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The XX in SLC


It's been a while since I've posted so I'm doing a little bit of catchup. A few Tuesdays ago I had the privilege of seeing the XX in concert. I've been head over the heels for their music since I first heard Crystallized. Their music is the perfect combination of sexiness and moodiness that I just love.


I feel like it's hard to judge a show like this since the music is so much more laid back and mellow compared to others. There are a few things the XX did perfectly. One, the overall aesthetics of the show were spot on. The lights and graphics were used in a way that perfectly captured the mood of the music. It was dark and broody in a sensual way. The music also slowly built up over the course of the show in a way that was really cool. On the downside though, I felt the venue was too large for this type of show. There's a level of intimacy that characterizes the XX's music that was lost in the venue. The band also decided to perform a much slower version of Crystaized at the beginning of the show that was kind of disappointing.



Overall I really enjoyed the show though. It was my first time seeing a show at the Complex and I thought the sound was really nice. I do prefer In The Venue for the simple fact there's a balcony upstairs. I also really enjoyed John Talabot. Once I realized he wasn't a sound guy, I was quite mesmerized by his music. All in all it was a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment