Sunday, October 5, 2014

Easy Crockpot Pot Roast

I was having friends over for dinner and I decided I wanted to make a pot roast. I'm not sure entirely why I had the urge. I've never been much of a pot roast fan. But with the season changing and the crisp autumn breezes kicking in, there was something satisfying about the thought of a roast with veggies and gravy. I was also looking for a recipe that would be simple and pretty fuss free.

That's exactly what I found.



I adapted this recipe a little bit. Mostly I added mushrooms and some red wine but that's entirely up to you. If you find your gravy to be a little too thin, just add a little cornstarch and you'll be good to go.

Nom.

Would I make this again? Already have another roast in the freezer!

Ingredients:

1 (10.75 ounce) can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 can of beef stock
5 1/2 pounds pot roast
1 sprig of rosemary
3 sprigs of thyme
salt & pepper to taste

Optional:
1 bag of baby carrots
1 pound of sliced mushrooms
1 onion, sliced
1 cup of red wine


Directions:

1.In a slow cooker, mix cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix, and beef stock.

2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add roast, browing well on all sides.

3. Place pot roast in slow cooker and coat with soup mixture. Cook on High setting for 3 to 4 hours, or on Low setting for 8 to 9 hours.

4. During the last hour or two, add mushrooms to a pan and sauté for several minutes until soft. Add the red wine and bring to a boil. Pour the mushrooms and wine over the roast and add the carrots and sliced onions as well.

5. Finish cooking until the meat is tender and the vegetables are soft.



Adapted from allrecipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment