Friday, January 1, 2016

Home Planetarium DIY

When I was looking for gift ideas for Christmas, I came across a deep space planetarium. While I thought it would be a good gift for Holden, I couldn't justify the cost. Holden also ended up breaking his camera right before the holiday so I decided to get him a new one. I couldn't stop thinking about the planetarium though, so I found a cheaper version that you have to put together yourself.

image

I decided to go ahead and order one for myself and one for my friend Ethan. I figured I've spent $20 in worse ways before and either way it would be a fun project for us. I have never built anything that uses batteries or any sort of power source so I thought that part was kind of interesting. Also, the instructions are quite funny.

image
image
image

While the beginning of the project is mostly just screwing different parts together, near the end you have to use double sided tape to create the star sphere. I'm not gonna lie, this part sucked. Ethan's turned out a lot better than mine because he paid more attention to getting his edges perfect. I was kinda buzzed at this point and just wanted to be done so I kind of just threw mine together. In a weird way I kinda like that they aren't perfect though. It adds a little charm.



There's something romantic about laying next to someone special while being bathed in the warm glow of the milky way. If you're curious, I would definitely pick one up.

No comments:

Post a Comment